Homework is assigned Monday through Thursday. There are suggestions for weekend work, but nothing is required.
Reading and Spelling assignments are segmented as daily practice while targeting a weekly goal (i.e. 60 minutes of READING for the week). Math homework is assigned everyday. Students are responsible for recording the daily assignments in their agendas.
All work is checked daily. If a student’s homework shows the need for additional time to understand an assignment, the student will work one on one with Ms. Rachel or the instructional aide. Students receive a homework grade each Friday.
If your student cannot complete homework because he/she does not understand an assignment, there is a family emergency, or wifi problem, parents should send a note outlining the issue.
The COJOWA Homework policy requires 60-80 minutes of weekly reading in third grade. Students can choose what to read at home. We encourage students to choose books at their level.
Students can read books on digital platforms including RAZ kids. The teacher name for the class is: ralmarcotte0.
Click on this link to login:
Students will write about what they read during the week on their Friday Reading Reflection. While students are required to read at home, they will complete this reflection in school on Fridays.
Reading Goal Ideas:
This week I will…
This week I will practice…
The daily math assignment will always include either a Math handout or an IXL assignment. Additionally, students may be assigned one 20 minute Math Reflex session each week.
The online platform, IXL provides excellent math skill practice. Skills that will be tested on the next math test will be highlighted.
Click on this link to login:
Below is a link to find Math handouts to use for extra practice or if you child is absent from school.
Students should complete three spelling word activities weekly.
1. Type It! - Type your spelling words on the computer/ipad/laptop and print it out to paste into your journal.
2. Rainbow Words - Spell words using different colored markers or crayons for each letter.
3. Alphabet Stickers - Build words using ABC stickers.
4. Small/Medium/Large Words - Write the word using the smallest letters you can possibly write, then doing it normal sized and finally jumbo sized.
5. Glue & Glitter - Write out spelling words in glue and sprinkle some glitter on top.
6. Print Words - Use newspaper or magazine print to cut out fun letters to spell out the word.
7. Flower Words - Draw a flower for each word, 1 petal for each letter of the word.
8. Other Hand - If you are right handed write your words using your left hand. If you are left handed write words using your right hand
9. Record - Use a tape recorder to record yourself orally spelling words. Email it to your teacher.
10. Make a Video - Make a video of yourself orally spelling the words. Email it to your teacher
11. Which is Correct? Write words on the paper and include misspelled words. Identify the correctly spelled words.
12. Word Search - You can visit sites like PuzzleMaker, plug in your spelling list and create a word search that you can print, put into your notebook, and find the spelling words.
13. Mystery Letters – Have a friend or parent write your words with missing letters and figure out which mystery letters are missing in order to complete words.
14. ABC order- Write the words in ABC order.
15. Definition- Write each word’s definition.
16. Alliteration- Create alliterative sentences in which the first letter of each word is the same as the first letter of the spelling word(s). Ex. Chester craves cheese and crackers. The tigers can tell time.
17. Cartoon- Create and color a cartoon or cartoon strip using at least 5 of your words.
18. Reverse ABC Order- Write your words in reverse ABC (alphabetical) order.
19. Pictures- Draw a picture illustrating each of your words and label each picture.
20. Complete Sentences- Use each word in a complete sentence showing you understand its meaning.
21. Writing- Write a story, rap, poem, or song, using 5 or more spelling words. Each story should include a beginning, middle, and end.
22. Triangle- Write each of your word study words in triangle format.
23. Be Creative- Come up with your own ideas!